Friday, October 7, 2011

See One, Do One, Teach One

Last night,  I ran into a former client at the library. He was three years older than the last time I saw him, but his skin was brighter as he beamed and introduced me to his new wife. When I last saw him, he was recently divorced, had been laid off from a very good job,and was in a tough financial position as a result of both. He was uncertain about nearly everything. And he seemed somewhat alone. He came to the networking meetings and trainings we offered,as well as scheduling career advising sessions with me. Despite his frustrations, he was open to the feedback with the extensive mock interview we provided. He was successful in landing a job. But was that the most important thing that he got from us? And would that have been enough?

My client turned to his wife and said, "These are the people who helped me when I needed it. They taught me the tools that I'm teaching you." Was landing the job the most important part?

Over 20 years ago, when I started in my field, my focus was the world of work...its fulfillment for both the worker and the employer. As I have gotten older, it has expanded to include the larger scope of one's life...its fulfillment...doing it well. Not perfectly, but fully.

When I started out to work on work, over 20 years ago, I did so because the way I saw it, you are given a unique set of gifts.  It is your responsibility and your privilege to use them well. You work so many hours per week. You owe it to yourself and society to spend them well. Now, I think you have been given one life. Use it well. The work we do gives our lives focus. The life we have gives our work focus. It is a balance.

My mission is to help individuals and the community to be whole and to be well utilized. What is the workforce development professional supposed to do? Is it enough to help a job seeker to get a position? If that person gets a job, then someone else does not. My role then is to reduce unemployment.
If I can find the gaps where employers have a hard time filling positions and make sure people are getting trained to meet those needs, then we may have done something. If we can help people to use their gifts even while unemployed, then I believe we have done something. When we help them to get  closer to financial stability, then that is something more. Getting resources, food, clothing, shelter, job leads, training, health, helpful connections, that is something. So they can get on with their lives. Making sure they get the job is not completely within our control. Most people right now aren't trying to get ahead, they are just trying to keep their head above water. They need a raft. That was the case with this guy. I couldn't make sure that he got interviews or offers, but I could make sure that despite periods of discouragement, he would not fall out of the raft. That is the one thing we can always do for each other.

Just as I was about to part with my client, I remembered a model he taught me that they use in the medical world. "See one, do one, teach one". It's a bridge to take to get to other side of learning many things. I let him know that I have called upon this model many times. He looked pleased.

His wife is recently unemployed herself. He learned how to make it to the other side of it. We brought him a raft, he is bringing her one.

While I am thrilled that he got a job and he is still working, I'm even happier that it put him in the frame of mind and the position to be happily married and sharing what we taught him. He is living fully. It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment