Thursday, October 13, 2011

Have a Little Awe

This is all your writing space needs:
A bench (I'd argue that could be a chair, a table, or a bike)
Silence
A little awe

According to Eric Maisel, in A Writer's Space: Make Room to Dream to Work, to Write , much more can be helpful...enough to fill an entire book...but these are the basics.

Isn't that what all of our endeavors need? In order to create something new, we need to give it space to grow. A baby, piano music, an empty stockpot for chili, a garden. In the spring, we need to turn the soil and pull away the weeds. Water a little. And wait.

To enjoy nature, we need to take a little time to get outside to take a hike, a bike ride, or at least a breath, before we have an opportunity to glimpse that fall sunset made of fire orange and salmon joining together, becoming florescent for the briefest of moments. This is what I saw above the Kroger building as I rode my bike with my family back from dinner on Monday night. If I hadn't looked up to my left, I would have missed it. It was the sort of sunset you might expect to see on vacation. But maybe those are here too, more often than I know. On vacation, there is more time for silence. More time for awe. If we are paying the bills, making dinner, and vacuuming the rug, we miss it. If we don't look up, it passes us by. How many beautiful, amazing things have I looked past? Whatever we are doing: looking for a job, writing a novel, or going to Indiana, we need to remember three things. Take a seat for a minute. Be quiet. Have a little awe.

What filled you with awe today?

No comments:

Post a Comment